Sunday, August 22, 2010

Guest Post: Dancydoodle


(me, big sister, little sister (poor thing look at that face!) and my husband)
Hi everyone. My name is Stephanie aka Mrs. Doodle from DancyDoodle. I am so excited that Aimee invited me to guest post on this AWESOME blog. A little background on why I think feel this is a valuable blog for every parent. I am a SAHM to two little princesses - ages 2 (almost 3 just ask her! and she is having a princess party you don't have to ask her that she will just tell you:) and a 4 month old (she will just slober all over you and sometimes poop all over you too. She means well though:).

So let's rewind a bit to before I had children or was married... oh heck let's just go ahead and say it when I was YOUNG! I always excelled in school. I didn't really have to try hard, it really came naturally to me. I was never at the top of the class but I was never at the bottom either but somewhere in between. I didn't have to study a lot to make good grades and my parents never really questioned me about school. Yes, they cared but they just "expected" me to do well. However, I was NOT an avid reader or heck a reader at all. I read what I HAD to for school and that was about it. Books were always something that I read so that I could take a test for school. If I really want to be honest with you guys I skimmed sometimes too. So fast forward to later in my life when I had graduated with my master's degree and was at a cross roads in life. I was staying with my aunt who was like my second mom. She invited me to go with her to the Keys one Spring Break and I happily said yes. A free vacation far away from my worries - sign me up. Much to my surprise this trip made me realize something... while sitting on the beach she said you should read this book and handed me the Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. This book changed me as a person... it made me ENJOY reading. I was bitten by the reading bug and I am so thankful to my aunt for that gift! (On a side note... this aunt is ALWAYS reading something and she has even written an awesome novel that she hopes to get published one day.) I think now how much more enjoyable school would have been for me if I would have just known the enjoyment of reading and not thought of it as a task. Oh to live is to learn!

When my husband and I were dating (we met right after my trip to the Keys that Spring Break) we took a trip to NYC and I was reading Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I remember being in that beautiful city for the first time and loving every minute of it but treasured every night when I got to read that book at the end of the day. I loved that book... I was immersed in it. I will never forget that book, when I read it, and how much I enjoyed it. I had never had a positive experience with a book until this time in my life.

Life now is a lot busier and I don't get much time to read the things I enjoy reading as much as I read children's books with my girls. I am sorry but reading Vera Goes to the Dentist over and over is just not the same as a good book and my quiet time. I will have all of that time back one day so I am enjoying my current "season" - my girls. I love our reading time because they are always so calm and snuggly. It is a special time for us to bond. I am learning that I can choose books that can teach them life lessons, history, how to be the person they want to be, manners, calm their fears (ie. that is why we were reading Vera goes to the Dentist so my daughter would know what the dentist is all about), and so much more. I mean the subjects are endless... there are books on everything you can imagine! I can use our reading time to help them in so many ways. I getting excited just thinking about it. My oldest daughter really enjoys books and reading at such a young age that I hope she always associates reading with a positive feeling. I am passionate about instilling a love for reading in my children because I feel if they learn to love it at an early age then they will always love it.


( Little sister is learning to just enjoy the "love" big sister dishes out)
I recently read a book that further confirmed the importance of reading to my children. Stay tuned for a review of this book. It will be a must read for any parent.

~ Stephanie

1 comment:

Aimee Larsen said...

Great post! Thank you for sharing yourself. It was beautiful to read. I can't wait to see your next post.