Friday, April 15, 2011

Rainbow stories for preschoolers

If you're experiencing the proverbial "April showers" as we are today, it's a perfect opportunity to share some rainbow books and activities with your preschooler. Here's a few of my favorite rainbow books:

A Rainbow of My Own by Don Freeman

A little boy imagines having a rainbow of his own to play with, then comes home to discover that he actually does!  Charming story by the author of the beloved classic Corduroy.

Duckie's Rainbow by Frances Barry


This is a super simple and engaging book - great for toddlers too!  As Duckie hurries home to avoid getting caught in the rain, different colors in her environment (a yellow corn field, a blue pond, etc.) make up a beautiful rainbow at the end of the book.

Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert

This gorgeously illustrated story isn't really about rainbows at all, but it does feature all the colors of a rainbow as the young narrator describes the family flower garden from seed to full bloom.

After reading these books, there are lots of great rainbow activities you can do!  Try a color scavenger hunt to find all the colors of the rainbow - easily done indoors or out!  There's a great idea for a paint sample rainbow mosaic at I Can Teach My Child here.  The Crafty Crow featured rainbow activities here and here.  And you can read about the rainbow fun I had with my two year old daughter here.

1 comment:

Aimee Larsen said...

I LOVE it MO! Thanks for sharing these. Even though I try to stay up on books, you always find the best ones I haven't seen yet. I can't wait to check these out.